CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Change of Heart

I'm still alive and fairly well. Thank you all for your concern and support. To be honest I read over my last post and I think it seems a little over dramatic now I look back. It was, however, truthfully the way I felt at the time so I guess it's good to look back at and realise I am making progress.

Life is very busy at work right now. It always is at the beginning of term but this year we have had a huge staff turnover. I'm sure the new (very young and super keen) staff think I'm an unfriendly old crow but I can live with that! I have one of the most challenging classes I have ever had so that keeps me on my toes.

I'm still a little anti-social but I'm feeling better about life in general. I don't see any reason to force myself in to social gatherings at the moment so I have given myself permission to stay home if I like.

The exception to this is the gym. I haven't been at the gym for such a long time. During my last pregnancy, mc and aftermath I put on a fair bit of weight. I'm determined not to put on any more so I forced myself to go back. In fact worse, I forced my (fit and active) husband to join so I had company and someone to motivate me. It was the best move ever. I feel so much better for the exercise. I forgot how much I enjoy having exercised, if not the actual exercise itself. And I can't believe what bad form I'm in. Yikes. I knew I was carrying more weight than usual but I'd kind of convinced myself that I was still fairly fit under it. No way! Still, it's a step in the right direction.

On the TTC or not TTC front. Well that question really answered itself. I ovulated four weeks after the ERPC, I wasn't charting but I did pee on a few OPK. It felt wrong to ovulate and not even try. I guess that's the plan then, keep trying. It is CD 1 so this cycle was a bust, fancy that, but I feel better now we've decided not to quit.

I also saw my consultant about two weeks ago. She has referred me to a different IVF clinic. I wasn't keen on going back to the other after the doctor was so dismissive at the 7 week scan. We have our first appointment there on the 24th. That is super speedy for my part of the world. It is only to discuss possibilities and we haven't committed to anything but I think we probably will.

So, I said never again and, without doubt, no IVF ever and here we are trying again and looking at IVF. How fickle is that? It seems that giving up is far harder than I imagined and way, way harder than trying again. I can't stand the thought of looking back in 10 years time and wishing we'd tried a little harder, I don't want all these attempts to be for nothing. I hope I'm doing the right thing. I guess time will tell.


P.S. Jan, the lady who left me the comment about the Edinburgh Miscarriage Group. Thank you very much, I got in touch and went along. Sue says Hi. I finally met someone, in real life, that gets it. How bizarre!

25 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like great news all around. I'm so glad you're enjoying exercise and that you have an appointment so soon! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Natalie said...

I'm glad to see you're back - I saw you leaving comments but not posting and was hoping you were gradually feeling a bit better.

As for the trying, yea, not so easy to quit when you look forward and think about what you might think looking back.

Kristen said...

WOOHOO for exercise! DH and I just joined a gym together and it has been great (aside from the fact that I've been laid out with a head cold so I haven't been able to use it much). I am glad you are getting fit and feeling better about yourself.

And it is wonderful that you found a support group IRL. It is always nice to meet people in the flesh who are going through similar situations. I hope it proves to be quite therapeutic for you.

I wish you lots of luck this upcoming cycle. XOXO

Von said...

Welcome back Carrie.
It's amazing how time can heal things. Glad to hear you are feeling better about life in general.
I agree with you on the giving up part. We did that for a little while before we went down the IVF road. It was indeed harder than not trying.
Good luck with your appointment on the 24th.

Geohde said...

Carrie,

I'm so glad to hear that you're making progress. I understand about the emotional fickle-ness. I've flirted with the idea of just giving up, but the reality of DOING that is harder than keeping trying, for sure.

JJ said...

Glad that the appt. is soon--and keep up the great work on the exercise!

Joy said...

I feel the same way about exercise. I hate actually getting up to go. The actual exercising part is just okay.. but the after part always feels great. I try to remind myself how good I'll feel AFTERward to get through not-great parts, but it hasn't been working so well.

I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better. And glad you're not giving up. I don't want to be a soldier alone in the war on infertility. ;)

One View said...

So good to hear from you Carrie and I'm glad you are doing better. I think we all are over dramatic when we are going through the worst of our pain. The pain is real and you just had to get through it. I know what you mean about wanting to give up but the idea of giving up is a lot scarier. That's exactly how I feel. Going back on the ART roller coaster again terrifies me but the alternative seems much worse. I think its great you and DH are excercising together - something DH and I really need to do as well. Good luck to you with your next cycle.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you went along to the mc group - it helped me such a lot and I made a couple of really good friends through it. We have even more in common, I see from this post, as I'm a teacher too - Primary 1 this year. If you're ever feeling really brave, there's a group of Edinburgh IVFers who chat online and some of us even meet up in person (having another meal out tomorrow). Huge mixture of experiences there and there's always someone who "gets it". I'm not going to our local clinic anymore - I've flown West, as it were - but they're quite happy to include anyone with a connectio to Edinburgh. Not sure how to send you my email address without revealing it to all, but let me know if you're ever interested in meeting up, either with me or with the group.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Haven't been to the mc group since the beginning of the year, but planning to go back as I have issues to deal with before we do more treatment in the new year. Glad Sue remembers me - suppose I was one of her longest attenders :-(.

Debby said...

So glad things are looking up for you. And hooray for the workign out. I need to get back into that myself. Infertility sure is hard on the weight for me too.

Makingpeace said...

I'm new to reading your blog so hi. :) It's so hard navigating these IF waters...you can never say never. Good luck with your appointment!

dmarie said...

SO wonderful that you are back :) Great for you on the exercising! And good for your hubby too. Good luck with the new clinic. I think we all have to keeping going until it's time to stop. We determine when that "time" is. Not fickle at all.

lub said...

I am glad to see you looking forward. I hope this IVF dr is better and you feel good about it. Keep us posted. :)

Ms. Planner said...

Carrie, thank you so much for the update. I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are.

Exercise has such amazing powers. It takes such personal determination to resume things like this when you aren't feeling your fittest. I am so proud of you and happy you have done this.

Whatever you decide, we'll be with you every step of the way. I know it is not a lot of consolation, but sometimes it is good to realize you have a cheering section.

Carrie said...

Jan, I don't know if you'll find this or not but in case....
I'd love to know more about your group, I'm also curious about you ' going West' My e mail is carriepreciouslittle@hotmail.co.uk

It would be great to hear from you.

ultimatejourney said...

Good to have you back! I'm impressed to hear about all the exercise.

Good for you for not giving up on TTC. It sounds like you're very much at peace with that decision, and I wish you the best.

Topcat said...

It's so nice to hear how you are doing. And exercise works wonders -getting the blood pumping around is natures way of antidepressants, I'm sure!

Thinking of you xo

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

thats good that you've found a group who gets 'it.'
i'm happy that you're moving forward. i am a big believer that enough is enough.
i have a lot of hope for you, girlie.

Tam said...

Glad that you have decided to carry on trying, we don't judge you at all, we all say things that we just can't stick to sometimes...only you will know what is right for you. Glad that you are feeling better.

Hugs xxx

Von said...

Hi there. How are you doing?
Thanks so much for your comments. It means so much.
And we are all here for you.........
Much love.
Von.
xxxxxxxx

M said...

So sorry I haven't been around, serious technology issues abound down here!

You really hit the nail on the head when you said that giving up is harder than keeping on trying - and if we give up there's always the 'what if's' that play havoc with us.

Joy said...

Just stopping by to let you know that you're in my thoughts..

--Trish

Anns said...

I'm so sorry to hear all that's been happening with you but am happy you are starting to feel "normal" again -- whatever the hell that really means right!

Here's to taking off and keeping off the pounds!

Anns xo

Ali said...

Your previous post mirrors so much my own thoughts dealing with the aftermath of another miscarriage. I really don't think it was "dramatic" to feel that way - experiencing another miscarriage is dramatic, horrible and scary. I really relate to all of what you said - I don't feel that way every minute, but I've definitely felt that way. It's hard to keep up hope when they can't find anything wrong and it keeps on happening. So, (my assvice) I say, give yourself a break - allow yourself to feel however the heck you feel.