CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Frustration, More Frustration and a Little Fun.

It is getting so early dark here. Winter is just around the corner. It has made me impatient, another year almost over, I'm still not pregnant, time is marching on. Here's the frustration part..........

We went along to the potential new clinic last Monday. I liked the doctor but he reckons we don't need IVF straight away. He wants to wait 6 months (What for?) and then start in March. He's not asking us, he has decided. Now this seems like a long time away to me. March. I was hoping for.......hmmmm......next cycle. We have started the proceedings with the Hep B, Hep C, HIV tests having been done there and then . I have a line for day 3 testing of... FSH, estradoil, LH, Prolactin, TSH, rubella, full blood count, testosterone and thyroxine. Most of these have already been done but he wants them done again. Seems to me that no doctor actually trusts another, doesn't help me to trust any of them!

Even more frustrating, I have drawn a blank at the miscarriage testing. My gynaecologist just will not entertain it. She does not accept the first two pregnancies as clinical (they didn't need any medical intervention and the first wasn't even on my GPs notes). She will not even speak about them other than say early losses are very common. I even wrote to her asking that she refers us for further testing based on 4 losses, being over 35 and about to start another IVF cycle (which she did refer me for) I wrote so that there would be a copy of my letter in my file and she'd have to reply in writing. I thought this would make her a little more accountable for her actions and therefore more likely to help. In her reply she only referred to the losses that needed ERPCs and told me that guidelines do not recommend testing yet. I am so frustrated at her, at the NHS, at the whole deal. There seems to be nothing I can do to receive decent healthcare round here.

So I now have a problem, well two problems really. In a complete about turn from not wanting to try again, I now want to try IMMEDIATELY. I have had it with the waiting and hoping. I want to do everything in my power to get, and stay, pregnant or have closure if it doesn't happen. I need this torture to end, I can't have my life on hold indefinitely.
So the first dilemma was whether or not to go back to the original clinic ( I have already paid for a cycle and haven't done it yet) I wasn't impressed by their treatment last time but it would be a start, then I'd have new clinic to fall back on in March. I kind of decided that this is what I would do when problem number two emerged. My husband doesn't want to. He want to DIY until March.

I have tried to explain my need to move forward quickly but he reckons we are going to fall pregnant in the next couple of cycles. Based on what?? Of course I asked him this and he replied that he just felt it. Sigh. After much discussion, ok , me talking, him glazing over, he said, and I quote, " Well, I won't fight you."
What sort of commitment is that? It means I have to decide, if it all goes wrong I've wasted our money and I'll have to put up with the look. The 'I told you so' look. I am going mad with the overthinking. Absolutely mad.

Everything if complicated even further by the fact that we are going on holiday and my period is due that week (why wouldn't it be?) This means I can't get the day 3 blood work done for the new clinic. This will also mean I can't start down regulation, at the old clinic, on day 20, I think. I'm no doctor but I would imagine that doing day 3 blood work next month whilst down regulated may lead to some interesting results, no? So.... Now it looks like the earliest we can cycle, if everything else goes our way, would be December. What are the chances of the clinic running as normal. I just know I'd end up with retrieval on Christmas day or something equally as awkward. Cycling in January might be too close to March? I really don't know. It's all too hard. My head hurts!

The fun part is the holiday I mentioned. A cruise round the Med. We booked it on the Friday after the final scan, (before the ERPC on the Monday). We really can't afford it as, of course, we are looking at further IVF treatment but we felt we needed to get away. For a while I felt like it was a huge mistake. I was so miserable that I didn't really want to go away but I am looking forward to it now. It'll be fun to spend some time together.

Perhaps I'll relax so much I might even........ Well, I can dream.

21 comments:

Von said...

Hi Carrie,
Firstly I just like to say how much I appreciate the comments you have left. I know how hard it can be after a failed cycle.
Secondly, my experience is that when you're ready mentally, you're ready. If you feel now is the time, then go with it. No-one else can tell you how you feel. The NHS and their manners leave a lot to be desired at the best of times. What matters is getting a cycle going. I'd give the old place another shot. You can be downregging on hols.
The holiday sounds good. Having some time together is important. Men don't cope with this stuff as well as women do.
As for the m/c's, any chance of another opinion?

Kristen said...

I think it is ridiculous that neither of your doctors will entertain what it is that YOU want done. I think you definitely need to be aggressive and tell them what YOU want to have happen. They are working for you and if you feel ready, that is what is most important.

As far as recurrent losses, it doesn't matter if they were early or not. If you have 2 or more, it warrants testing. I would argue that you don't want to have more losses before they start to take you seriously. You deserve answers.

I just want to give you a great big hug right now. I hope that cruise is as fun as it sounds! I'm totally jealous ;)

olivegirl said...

The clinic where I live in Canada recommends intervention over the age of 35 after two miscarriages. Sounds like UK might be a little behind the times on the treatment protocol for miscarriage.

And it's getting dark early here too! We're probably on the same latitude.

Hope that cruise is great. I'm v jealous!

Natalie said...

I'm glad to see you're back a little - I've seen your comments but no posts so have been worried, hoping you're okay.

Re arguing with the husband, if it helps, mine and me argued a bunch over the first round of Clomid and it just felt so much like "fuck, as if I don't have enough on my plate right now without you adding to it". Eventually he came around though, and is ever so supportive again, so maybe your husband's just tired right now, like we get, and needs some time.

Have fun on the cruise, maybe that'll be what turns things around with him - a good break:-)

Geohde said...

Carrie,

None of it is ever remotely simple is it?

I love how your husband just 'feels' that you'll manage it DIY within a few months. Men!

My husband occasionally voices similar thoughts, to which I haul out his SA and ask which sperm he's planning to use out of all the duds :)

Boo to the NHS. I think a motivated patient, especially one over 35 deserves at least a basic RPL workup. They'll do them here with two m/c and no live births.

J

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

what! i hate when doctors refuse to give you the m/c testing. i personally think EVERYONE should get it before even thinking about IVF. What if you go thru all that trouble...and the unthinkable happens. DEMAND IT! they work for you.

And, what up with not doing IVF until FREAKIN' MARCH. good grief, people.

I'm sorry that the medical establishment is not treating you how they should. shame on them.

i hope they change their mind.

Heather said...

I agree you need to keep pushing on the testing about your losses. And since you already paid for the cycle at the other place, maybe doing that in December makes sense. Sorry about DH. Mine says stuff like that all the time - the "Whatever you want" answer does not sound like a committment to us.

Have a great time on your vacation!!!

One View said...

Hi Carrie. I've been checking up on you as well and I'm glad to see you your post. I'm so sorry the Dr. are not trying to get to the bottom of your miscarriages. You really need to push for more answers. I hope they can at least run some preliminary tests.

Everytime I hit a failure and finally come out of the clouds, my mind is boggled with a million options. Its overwhelming isn't it? When I should cycle next, what to do and where I should go? My Dh had so much hope as well and somehow thought it would happen in between my breaks but for me I always felt better doing something about it than just sit around and hope.

I personally think you should go ahead with the IVF in December or January. You never know it may work. Its hard to worry about the what if's but if you are ready to start.. I think you should.

I'm glad you are going away on a vacation. I hope you have a fabulous time.

dmarie said...

Ughhh--I'm so sorry about your doctors. That is maddening! I can understand wanting to do something now. I'd probably go back to the original clinic.

I love Geohde's answer to her hubby. I also have one that thinks insanely and then becomes indifferent or lets the decisions rest in my lap.

I really hope you enjoy your holiday. I'm so jealous!

Ms. Planner said...

Hey Carrie. It is good to hear from you. Although I am sorry it is such a rough go for you right now.

I cannot believe the story of the doc "not counting" the miscarriages. No procedure = no miscarriage? Both of my miscarriages happened naturally so according to those rules I have never been pregnant nor had a miscarriage. Ugh! I want to throttle that doc. Seriously. Let me at 'em! I'm small but scrappy.

It sounds like there may be some feelings of guilt about the money for IVF and the timing. You are right: you have suffered enough and need to move on. Now. Sometimes it takes Cowboy a little while to wrap his arms around the idea of spending money but then he usually comes around. I can only hope that your honey does, too. From what you have written before, it sounds like he will.

Thinking of you and hope you can absorb yourself in some good relaxation and rest over your holiday.

Joy said...

Hmm. I dont know that I have much advice on when to cycle. I definitely feel for you on the suddenly decided YOU MUST TRY RIGHT NOW.

Of course, I waffle back and forth. Sometimes I'm almost frozen with fear at being pregnant again because if I lose another- what then..

But then the idea of giving up is just.. well.. Impossible. So we soldier on.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. Is it possible for change doctors? I wouldn't like being told 2 of my 4 dead babies essentially "don't count."

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

Some big decisions there. I really hope you don't have to wait until March to cycle again.

I am appalled that they don't recognise ALL of your m/c's. They were all very real no matter how clinical they became.

Your cruise sounds like a wonderful idea and hopefully the break does you both some good. We often don't realise how much we needed to get away until be do.

Dr. Grumbles said...

Arg! Sounds familiar. I wish I could share the optimism when told I'll just get and stay pregnant any day now with no intervention!

And the losses not being of any concern...don't they know how much of a concern they are to the grieving parents? I keep wondering what the harm would be in testing. If all comes back negative, well then, great! At least things have been ruled out!

I hope the cruise allows you to escape and, yes, RELAX!

Erin said...

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry you keep hitting these timing roadblocks! I wonder if your husband is trying to protect you from going through too much? But I agree with Von, when you're ready, you're ready

Your vacation sounds so wonderful, though - I hope you have a great time and...well, I can dream, too!!

Debby said...

There is nothing worse than someone making something that is so significant to you seem like no big deal. I hate it when people but loss into different boxes. Loss is loss is loss. Early, late, whenever. It all sucks and it all means something. And from a medical standpoint, I'm sorry, but all these losses, early or not, point to something. It's ridiculous not to test. But having said all that, I hope you are able to forget about everything on your trip and just relax and enjoy your man. I'm also way jealous of your cruise! I've always wanted to do one on the meditteranean. Good for you guys! I have found through this whole process that treats such as trips really make a world of difference on the energy to sustain through more rounds of tests, doctors and cycles. Have fun!

Ms. Planner said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words of support on my blog. I am certain you know the kinds of emotional ups-and-downs I am dealing with at this moment. Thanks for being such a good friend to me.

xoxo,

Ms. P

Makingpeace said...

Is it too much to ask that the doctors explain the things they went to school so long for?! I always ask a million questions and pose things to the docs and half the time they seem annoyed that they have an intelligent woman on their hands. Continue being your own best advocate. I totally understand the prospect of another cycle working is so exciting that you want to start right away...it's crazy how fast emotions change! Maybe some reflection while on vacation will answer some questions for you. :)

Tam said...

This is such a hard call, in one way I agree with your hubby, you have fallen pregnant on your own a few times, the problem seems to be in keeping the baby...am I right?

So surely by now they would have figured out that maybe you should be on progesterone/oestrogen support during your LP? Then on the other hand, I so know how you feel, I have always felt like that, when I want it, I want it and I have always hated waiting for it but in saying that, I have also learnt that maybe my way is not always the best way, so far it hasn't helped me.

Do what you guys can come to an agreement on, in the long run it does affect both of you and you need support with this.

I also think that it's so unfair that your dr's are making decisions for you, it's your body...you should be able to decide what you want done and when you want it!!

Hang in there, loads of hugs xxx

One View said...

Hi Carrie.. ! Just wanted to check up on you and see how you are doing? Hope you're doing well and enjoying your vacation.

I also wanted to let you know I went invite readers only but I do not want to leave anyone out. Email me at foreverhopeful2003@gmail.com to be added to the list.

Ms. Planner said...

Hey there Carrie. I hope you a restful vacation! How are you doing?

I wanted to let you know that I am so thankful for the comment you left on my blog. It means the world to me, you know. Thinking of you, too.

xoxo,

Ms P

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I am just so jealous about your vacation. I hope you write about it.

And I hope you go with a doctor who is willing to factor in what you want.