CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Where Am I Now?

I don't really know where I am but I do know it is very black and I don't like it. I thought I was doing OK but I'm not.

I keep going over and over the day of the procedure, like I have to relive each event. Not healthy I think? I'm going to write the main parts down. It'll be lengthy so feel free to skip.

I was admitted to the EPU, which is a room at the end of the maternity ward, at 8am and told theatre would be at 11.00. Then I saw no one else for hours until a nurse arrived with some tablets (the vaginal pessary) to soften the cervix and laughingly said, "These are for you but you're not getting them in your mouth!" and she was so jolly, like she had just cracked the best of jokes. I realise I may not have been in the best of moods but I found it totally inappropriate. She then sat on my bed and said nothing more as I stared at her. I was still dressed and she didn't give me a gown or tell me what to do. I didn't want to just strip to the waist in front of my husband and her and hop up on the bed, I've never been asked to undress in front of people like that before. I've always been given some privacy and a sheet or something to cover up before they come back into the room. I've little enough dignity left without this. So it was very awkward. 'It's just like a vaginal exam," she said. I asked for some privacy and she seemed quite put out. When she did administer the pessaries she seemed to think my cervix was just below my ribcage. I'm not sure that she is used to this job?

After that the rest was fairly straight forward. Each midwife/doctor/anaesthetist was really nice in themselves. They all seemed quite caring people however no one seemed to know what anyone else had said and so each had some variation in instructions. It was like there was a procedure missing. Just a bed at the top of the ward to be dealt with with no one really knowing what their role was. A different face each time. The procedure was explained and I was told, by the anaesthetist, I'd wake up comfortable with no pain but may have some cramping later. My husband was allowed to come down to the theatre prep place with me and stay till they knocked me out. I really appreciated that.

I didn't get taken down to theatre until about 1.30. I'm not sure why but I suppose these things happen. The theatre tech even apologised for my wait.

The next thing I was aware of was waking up, and what a shock it was. I was in loads of pain and I was howling. I must have been crying before I was aware of being awake because my face was wet with tears, It was all really scary. I hadn't any pain like this last time and remembered waking up quite sleepily. This was a complete contrast. I seemed to go from asleep to hysterical in a heartbeat. I can't really explain it but I wouldn't want to do it again. They gave me painkillers in the recovery room but they took a while to kick in. Even as I was wheeled back to the ward I was barely aware of anything but my cramping. It was a different anaesthetist to the one who had promised me no pain, perhaps due to the delay, I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

The midwife on the ward got the doctor to give me another painkiller, a purple one, much better, I always did like purple and after 20 mins or so it all died down to a bad period like cramp. As i was feeling less distressed I became aware of my bottom lip. It seems my lip must have between the air tube and my teeth. It was all swollen like I'd been punched and it was tingly as if I'd been to the dentist. Its still a bit swollen now and all cut inside. Its still a bit tingly too but at least I can drink tea without it running down my chin now. I guess these things happen too but no one was all that interested or able to explain why. The midwife said that maybe I'd bitten it and she was sure it'd be fine in a day or two. OK then, I'll just leave looking beaten up, no problem.

Later in the afternoonI asked when I could leave but then they discovered my drip hadn't been dripping. The valve was blocked and my blood was going up the tube rather than the stuff coming down, so I had to stay until this was sorted and then I had to have something to eat.
I finally left at 7.45pm with a bottle of painkillers. Physically all sorted I suppose, emotionally in bits.

I'm finding it more difficult than I thought. I just seem to swing from anger to distress and back. I really don't know how to move on. I feel as if I'm on my own now. The health care service has patched me up but there is no focus on how you feel. None at all.

I phoned my midwife this morning to cancel my appointment tomorrow she said she had heard from the EPU so she knew I wasn't coming but thanks for ringing. She then asked if this meant another trip (another trip!) to the Assisted Conception Unit (what to 'pick up' another pregnancy?) I said I just didn't know what I was going to do. I hoped she would speak to me but she just said that she hoped to see me sometime in the future. This got me really upset and I cried for ages when I got off the phone. There isn't any support.

I see my GP on Monday and I love her, she's so empathetic, but really, what can she say? What can anyone say? I don't know what to say myself, I just walk round and hear myself sighing.

I'm hoping this is all the hormone crash. I keep telling myself I've been through worse, I'll get through this too. It is probably true, I will, but I can't tell you how much I wish I didn't have to.

18 comments:

Natalie said...

I wish you didn't have to go through this either. I'm so sorry you're going through it.

I'm also amazed by your ability to be so good to me venting over a stupid failed IUI when you're going through so much worse - you lady, are amazing. Your comments meant a lot when I was in my dark place.

Erin said...

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry that that nurse (and then the midwife on the phone) made what was already a horrible experience so much worse. I don't know how people don't get that you need to be treated a little differently in these circumstances. And then to wake up like you did. Ugh. You are a trooper.

I wish you didn't have to go through this either. I hope you're feeling better soon!
xoxo

JJ said...

I cant tell you how much I wish you didnt have to go through this....my heart aches for you. I just wish I could come hold your hand and cry with you...hugs to you!

Becks said...

Carrie, what a nightmare you have been through. It makes you question why it all had to happen in the first place? I can imagine you feel so alone right now - one of my closest friends is in the same situation and we were so frustrated she didn't get any support. Eventually her GP offered her some counselling.

I do hope you start to feel better soon. My thoughts are with you x

Ann said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. Perhaps now that it's over, the healing can begin. My hope for you is that you feel just a little bit better every day--or at least every few days.

M said...

'...I really don't know how to move on...'

Babe, you had this done mere days ago, you will not move on. You will change, and this experience will have changed you, but you won't 'move on'. Not ever. Moving on is a concept (I believe) made by people who have never experienced anything remotely traumatic.

I hate that you have been through this, I truly do. If I could get in my private jet, jet my way to you and come sit with you and laugh and cry and do all that stuff, believe me I would. However, my jet is out of petrol....

xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carrie, I'm so sorry that that ghastly experience was made even worse by insensitivity and ineptitude. You'd think medical professionals would have a better idea (heck, any idea) of what to say and what not to say, and a better grasp of simple concepts like comfort and gentleness.

How I wish you didn't have to go through all this pain again, my dear. Wishing you love and healing.

Geohde said...

Oh Carrie, I am so sorry. My D+E was one of the single worst experiences of my life. It aches, even now. I get upset reading about how sad you feel at the moment, because I remeber it all too well. Please take care of youself, you've had such a rough time.

xx

J

Von said...

Just try to take it easy for the next while. It will take time to heal both physically and emotionally.
Look after yourself.

Thalia said...

I remember the feeling of that pessary going in - awful - and I'm sorry it was that way for you too.

I wouldn't underestimate the effect of the hormone crash, but also you just have a lot of mourning to do, it's not surprising you feel awful. Do you feel supported enough, are you eating properly? Do you have someone you can really talk to?

Thinking of you.

Heather said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm also so sorry it didn't sound like they were doing a great job at helping you get through this with the least discomfort as possible. Take some time and let yourself grive. (((Hugs)))

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

well, this is all just so horrible. of course you're upset, of course you're crying.

what a dumb thing that that nurse said. i would have lost it and screamed "WHAT PART OF THIS IS FUNNY TO YOU!?!?" I mean, i'm sure she *meant* well, but she is stupid and you should have yelled at her.

i'm sure your hormones aren't making it better. during all of my four early, early (seriously, like 15 DPO) i have verbally assaulted at least one person and had many melt downs. And i was only pregnant for about five mins each time.

do me and yourself a favor, be good to you. let yourself cry when you need to. or scream into a pillow. eat lots of ice cream. and make hubbie attend to your every need, k? seriously.

this sucks, and you will NEVER forget it, but things are going to get better, they really are.

One View said...

I too wish you didn't have to go through this and my heart aches for you. I wish I had the right words to comfort you or I could be there beside you to help you get through this painful tragedy. Thinking of you and I'll be praying that things will get a little easier for you.

dmarie said...

Aww Carrie I'm so sorry you have to go through such a terrible time.

Von said...

And I with you.

Ms. Planner said...

Oh Carrie. I am crying as I read this post and think about you. No one, I mean, no one deserves any of this.

I hope you take some time to grieve and be good to yourself. May you (and your honey) find comfort in each other during this very difficult time.

Mony said...

It's just horrible.
So emotional & sad. Your poor little heart.
I'm really, sincerely sorry.

Tam said...

I am so sorry that you have to go through this hun, I wish that none of us even had to think about any of this.

I am praying for peace and strength, none of this will ever be forgotten but I do hope that it does get easier as time passes.

Thinkin of you sweetie, loads of hugs xxx