CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 11, 2007

Only Slightly Disappointing

The appointment on Tuesday almost went well. We completed all the paperwork, good grief, there are masses of forms to fill in.

Next was to hand over all the lab results from the last set of bloods. The HIV, Hep B, Hep C for both of us. Rubella, Chlamydia, FSH and Oestradiol and Smear test (which I'm still waiting results from) for me. The nurse said my blood results (Oestradoil/FSH) were fine but I would still really like to know what the normal ranges are, just for my own obsessing /interest.

There was a problem with the Chlamydia test. It was out of date. This test was done over two years ago before my longest pregnancy (In my referral forms it actually states that I had a successful pregnancy in Oct 05. Well unless I have a baby at home that I've failed to notice I really can't think of a much less accurate term, but there you go.)The point is this test must be carried out within the last two years. So we have to repeat this test and also chase up my smear test result.


The other surprise was with Mr L's results. He'd already had 2 SA that had come back with all good outcomes but this time his motility was low. Now I'm not freaking out over this as the sample was meant to be in within an hour and it wasn't (at least 90mins). I'm going to count this as a red herring for the time being, at least until we have the retest.

So that left us with a new SA, another Chlamydia test and a smear result to chase before next Tuesday. I phoned my GPs office and they say the Chlamydia test will take a couple of weeks and they cannot guarantee the smear result this week either. So that was that. A months delay.

At first I was really disappointed with this news. We could get the IVF clinic to do the Chlamydia test (4 days) but still had no way of speeding up the smear test. The more I thought about it the more I realised that 4 weeks isn't an awful long time and other factors will become much more straightforward.

My work will be so much easier. As a teacher I get lots of holidays but have no way of taking time off without begging/asking. I am entitled to time off for medical but I work in a small school and it's difficult to get periodic cover. Also my frequent trips out would gather some, very unwanted, attention. By waiting four weeks I'll start down regulating whilst still at school but it'll be into the summer holidays by the second week of stims. It also means I'll be off for retrieval and transfer which makes things so much easier. I can also relax for the two week wait. (This is all assuming I get to every stage, and that is something I certainly am not taking for granted.)

It also means I can give my health kick an extra month AND another chance at a natural cycle. I know, I know, I should know better. It's hard not to dream though.

When I was going over all the positive points for waiting a month I really started to question why I had been so keen to get going sooner. The answer is... maternity leave! Truly, that's it! As I have set holidays, if maternity leave falls over a holiday then it's a lost holiday. So no one would want mat leave to include July and August as this really is wasted. This made me chuckle. There is obviously a part of me, deep and hidden, that thinks this might just work out. I hope that little bit of optimism doesn't get beaten up too badly!

So that's it. Possible timetable.....

Day one phone call to order drugs.....around 28th May
Down regs........around 14th June
Poss starting stims....... 25th June?
Holidays commence......29th June.


As for the rest, we'll just wait and see. It's all rather sketchy but at least it's a plan. And that's got to be good.

11 comments:

ultimatejourney said...

Oh, aren't there always both advantages and disadvantages to everything. I hope the next round of tests comes back great and the extra month flies by.

Becks said...

Ok I might be able to help you with the FSH normal ratings (I have learnt from experience as mine is quite high) anything below 12 is good. Hope that's good news to you.

We've had lots of fun with SA tests too. Two we had said there was no sperm at all, but the samples were left in the fridge by the hospital. The 3rd test at a different hospital showed much better results so dont worry too much - I think your right about the red herring. I think abstinence helps the results too, so that might be one to remember if he has to repeat.

You know you can get tested for Chlamydia by ordering something from the internet, not sure you are bothered about the wait though due to the smear test results.

I do hope everything goes smoothly, got my fingers crossed for you.

hammygirl said...

It's sounds like you've got a good schedule worked out. And while a month break seems like forever right now, it'll disappear before you know it! Good luck with all the tests!

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

i think cycling in the summmer sounds like a great thing. our s/a is different every time. you're right not to freak (until at least the 2nd!!)

One View said...

So sorry to hear about the delay. Sometimes even a month seems like a long time when you've been TTC for so long. Its great you are trying to see the positives. Doesn't it feel good to at least have a plan set. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie, that visit sounds a bit frustrating -- delays are never fun. But you're right, the timing in a month sounds much better!

About your hormones: your oestradiol (E2) levels correspond to about 40 ng/L or pg/ml, which is a very good level -- not too low, not too high.

Your LH and FSH levels are are also good, both nice and low. And your LH level is lower than your FSH, which is what you want to see. (The other way around would indicate PCOS.) So you've got very good levels all around.

For the normal ranges for CD3, visit:
http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html#female

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last bit got cut off. It's hormonelevels.html#female

And to convert pmol/L into ng/L (or pg/ml), divide by 3.67.

JW said...

The plan sounds perfect Carrie, and its not that long to wait, it'll be here before you know it. So exciting to be starting! I'm gonna be cheering you on all the way in Aus...!

dmarie said...

Sorry about the delay. One more frustrating thing, but it's great you've got a schedule. I'm sure that gives you something to really look forward to :)

Nicole said...

I don't understand why it takes so long to get the Chlamydia results back. Mine only took a couple of days. Of course, it came back as equivocal. Whatever the hell that means.

Ms. Planner said...

I love that you have that hopeful spark.

In case you still need it, I have a chart that contains normal ranges of hormone levels posted on my blog. It is in the section titled, "Resources for the plan."