CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 25, 2008

The Cycle of Life?

On Tuesday night at 11.15 my Gran passed away. She had a bad turn on Monday night and I was able to spend her last day with her. She went peacefully. Everything was how it should be but my life will never be the same again.

She was 90 years old last November. She had had a good, healthy and contented life. She used to say she was very ordinary. She was never ordinary to me.

I think it is mind blowing to think of the changes she must have seen in her lifetime. Born in 1917 during the first world war, living through the second world war- she lost her dear brother in the war, he was 21, she could still cry over that, she never really got over it, the inventions, the technology, the people. So much change.

My gran was such an important person to me. She was the stable adult in my childhood, my brother and I were very close to my Grandparents and lived with them for long periods when my mum was in hospital. She was my constant, without her my formative years would have been very different.

Ten years ago my dad moved to Australia (without a word to us), my mum re married and has a new life, my brother moved to London (although he was still very close to my Gran and visited often, he just wasn't physically here). It just left her and me. We spoke on the phone every day and we would go out for lunch and shopping every Saturday. I loved the time we spent together, I never took it for granted, I always realised how lucky I was to have this time with her.

In recent years her body became more frail although she remained fiercely independent, her mind however was as sharp as ever. She made me laugh, she was so caring. She was a very special lady.

And now she's gone. The day I have dreaded for a long time arrived and I am left trying to be grateful for the time I had and trying not to focus on the huge gap that there will now be in my world.

This week has been the hardest. I wish I could explain the connection we had or put into words the sense of loss and loneliness I am feeling right now. We needed each other. She was my family.


Tomorrow is outcome day for this cycle. I haven't tested. I don't suppose I have to explain how much more this cycle means now.

32 comments:

Emily said...

I am so sorry about your Grandmother. It is so difficult when loved ones pass away. ((hugs)).

I have my fingers crossed....

Rebecca said...

God...the words that you used to describe your relationship brought tears to my eyes. You are so lucky to have that with her and nothing can take that away...my thoughts are with you.

Sue said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Geohde said...

Carrie, I'm so sorry to read of the passing of your grandmother.

Thinking of you and hoping...

J

andi said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes too - she sounds like she was your everything. I had a very close relationship with one of my grandmothers as well. For a couple of years in my late 20s - she was one of my best friends - we would lunch and shop - several times a week. I had moved cities six months before she died in her sleep - something I deeply regretted.

I am really hoping the cycle of life continues for you over the next few days.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry about your Gran. I can tell how dearly you loved her. It's nice to hear she lived a long and good life and that you were there for her. I'm sure she will be deeply missed.

Good luck with the results of your cycle.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I wish you all the best for a BFP. Here from ILCW, thanks for sharing.

momofonefornow said...

Hi, over from ICLW,

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine loosing someone that I am that close with. I dread the day.

Photogrl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Big, big {{HUGS}} to you!

sara said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. This was a beautiful post - thank you for sharing during a difficult time. Wishing you the best of luck for tomorrow. ICLW

luna said...

oh carrie, I'm so so sorry. it sounds like you had a very special relationship with her. how wonderful that you were so significant to each other. I'm sure you'll miss her more than words can say. I'm so sorry. my thoughts are with you, today and tomorrow especially.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from ICLW...

I'm so sorry about your Gran. It's wonderful that you're able to focus so much on all of her good qualities and the special relationship that the two of you shared, even as you deal with such a recent loss.

Coincidentally, today I posted on my blog about my husband's grandmother. She died a couple of years ago, but I think about her almost every day.

Best wishes for this cycle, and for everything else.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Hoping you get good news tomorrow!

ICLW

SassyCupcakes said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a beautiful relationship with your Grandmother that you both cherished.

I really hope you get some good news soon.

Danifred said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandmother, she sounds like she was a wonderful woman!

Emily said...

Carrie, I hope everything went alright today.... fingers crossed!

tripmom827 said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I's sending positive vibes your way for that BFP!

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

I am so VERY very sorry you lost such a wonderful, special, important person in your life. I read with envy and amazement at the relationship you had with your Gran. What an amazing woman - she must have loved you so much. I only hope I can be half that much to my grandkids someday.

I know no one can take away the pain you'll have to experience as you continue life without her. So I'll just say that I hope and pray your soul will find peace and joy in remembering all the wonderful times you did have with her.

Big big hugs and sooo many prayers for tomorrow. Feel free to keep the news, good or bad, to yourself for as long as you need.... But praying for good!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

My thoughts are with you!

Returning your comment for ICLW.

andnotbysight said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother--it sounds like she was an amazing woman!

Just Me. said...

I am so sorry about your grandmother.

((((hugs))))

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you got to spend time with your grandmother in her last days. It is always hard to lose someone with whom you have such a special relationship, even if it was not unexpected. I hope that this cycle is the one for you.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry.

Silver said...

Just thinking of you and of your Gran. Beautiful words you've written - they make me feel both what you've lost and what she gave you (and what you gave her). She must have been so proud of you.

m said...

Oh honey- I'm so very, very sorry. I wish I had some words of comfort for you, I'll have to settle for sending lots of love to you from a long way away.

I'm so sorry I've been absent of late, so much going on and me being the worst blogger and friend on the planet.

I so hope that this cycle ends in a wonderful new beginning - you deserve it more than anyone I know...

x

Ms. Planner said...

Carrie, your post was such a touching tribute to a very strong, very loved woman. I wish your grandmother some peace and I wish you much strength to get through this time.

Anonymous said...

This is so well written. I think your Gran knows how big of a part she was in your life just as you know how big of a part you were in hers. Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry for you loss.

Emily said...

Carrie, sweetheart, I know I've left 2 comments already, but I want to know if you're doing ok! I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you!

Em

Tam said...

I'm so sorry for your loss sweetie, there are no words.

I'm still praying for you and hoping that you get good news soon

Big hugs xxx

VA Blondie said...

I am sorry for your loss. I can tell you loved her very much, and she will be missed. I will hold you and your family in the light as you go through this time of grief.

dmarie said...

I was very close to my grandmother as well. Your post was hard for me to read, but beautifully expressed. My condolences to you and your family.

I'm so sorry for all you're going through right now.

JuliaS said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Your post is a loving tribute to what sounds like a wonderful and neat lady.

Sending you thoughts of peace and comfort.

Good wishes.