CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

So Quick!

I've been a bit slow to update on this cycle. I haven't been so involved and committed to this IVF. I suppose this is an attempt to distance myself from the process and therefore to protect myself from the outcome. Will it work? Time will tell. It certainly has been the easiest cycle so far. I'm just going along with it and refusing to over-think.

That said it did start fairly stressfully. My first IVF was antagonist, I got only five eggs, four fertilized and we got 2 grade 1 embryos, a grade 2 and a grade 2/3.
The second time I did the long protocol. This time there were nine eggs, seven fertilized. We put back 2 grade 1 embryos (although one was only 6 cell) the rest of the embryos were so poor they didn't even get on the scale.

When my doctor was going through the recommendations for this cycle he said I could choose which protocol to follow. This was awful as I was so scared of making the wrong choice. Eventually I spoke to a nurse who said that just wasn't fair. She spoke to the head professor and he came up with this.

So the protocol this time was...

Antagonist- starting with Northesterone on day 21 of last cycle for 10 days. This was to try to recruit more follicles allowing a greater number of eggs without a loss of quality.
Then 225iu Menopur once a day. (10 days)

So far there are more follicles than before but I'm not even trying to guess how many eggs. There will be the same amount whether I spend the next 36 hours wondering or not!

Luteal support is a very strange one but I'll save that for now.

So I triggered tonight. EC Friday morning at 7.30. I hope the calm continues.

10 comments:

andi said...

Hi - thanks for your comment. I think the antaganost is the best... and hope you will cope with the sniffing - have a few sweets on hand to suck cause there is a little bit of a yucky taste at the back of your mouth.My finger's are crossed for you my dear.

christina(apronstrings) said...

i think your outlook sounds great. and quite an acheivement.
i am, as always, hoping that the universe blows a little grace into your life and that you finally get what you've long deserve.

Geohde said...

Carrie,

Wishing you the very best of luck with the rest of this cycle. Will be thinking of you,

J

dmarie said...

Wow--this has gone quickly! That really wasn't fair of your doc to put that responsibility on you. Glad you got some help with the decision and you're comfortable with the protocol.

Can't wait to hear about your new little kitty :)

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

You know, I'm glad you at least updated post-retrieval. I just want to wish you success and peace in the next couple of days. I didn't even update my blog in my entire IVF #2 so again, I understand it's a preservation of sanity to make as little deal about it as possible. I hope retrieval goes well and you have a good number of high-quality eggs, and great fertilization results. Hugs.

Just Me. said...

I'm having everything crossed for you. *hugs*

luna said...

it goes so quickly. thinking of you as you move forward.

One View said...

I can understand how you feel and how you want to protect yourself from the outcome. My clinic did an antagonist protocol for my very last one as well and I think is the protocol they recommended. Just wanted to wish you luck. Thinking of you.

Emily said...

Carrie.... I am sending you all of the 'tons of follicles' and 'super egg quanlity' vibes that I have in me. I hope this protocol is the one that is right for you!

xo

chicklet said...

Wow, how the hell did that happen so quick? I was checking in to see when you'd start, and whammo!

I won't be able to read while I'm gone I don't think (I hope I can though) so I'll be thinking of you and hoping this works out.