CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Birthday Wishes

If things had gone differently, this week would be my baby's first birthday. Perhaps a party, some cake, visitors for sure all reminiscing on how she had grown and what milestones she had achieved in her first 12 months. Of course things didn't go like that and instead I've been looking backwards over the past year, in fact the 17 months since I lost her.

I'm not the same person now as I was then. I certainly wouldn't be the same person if I had become a mother and gone through nurturing a child to their first birthday. I can't even imagine how that would change me. I realise there would be things I will never know unless I get the chance. I know this because I have learned things in my IF journey that I never could have guessed.

My feelings for that pregnancy loss have faded so much in the last 5 months. For a full year after the loss I was a mess. Very tearful, very depressed, not interested in much. I'd never experienced emotion that was as powerful and I could not shrug it off. In the last 5 months I have accepted things. It still makes me sad to think of it but not the raw grief I once had. It seems quite unreal now.

I thought that being pregnant again would make me more hopeful. In a way it has but I had a little spotting last night, not much and it seems to have stopped, I'm trying not to freak out, but the terror is truly here. I just don't know what another loss would do to me. I don't want to imagine. I don't want to see.

Some of you made great suggestions in your last comments. The NHS is an awful thing to deal with. There seem to be no choices at all. I am already getting 'special' treatment due to my losses. Usually I wouldn't be offered a u/s until 12-14 weeks. My consultant (who I hate) told me she would do an early scan but, 'don't come until about 9 weeks, you don't want to get your hopes up.' That is what she said. Word.for.word. The scan I have arranged on the 23rd is privately, at the IVF clinic. I could probably move that up but I don't want to go until we will definitely see a heartbeat, or not. I don't want to hang on wondering what it means.
I think my G.P. (who is so lovely) may do betas for me if I explain (they just aren't standard over here) because she has gone out of her way to help me before. The only problem with this plan is I had to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment. Bloody NHS. I'll write a whole post about it one day. I have so much to vent!

On a happier note, I was at acupuncture today. My lady said my pulse showed a strong pregnancy. I'm not sure if they can really tell anything from this, but it certainly was nice to hear. She also recommended no scans. Yup, NO SCANS. They're not natural she says.

I said I'd think about it! I did, no scan, huh, that'll be right!

11 comments:

Cibele said...

Just want to wish all the best for this pregnancy... I know too well this feeling of what could have been but never was...Last June was suppose to be my baby's first birthday . I wrote a post about it (http://cibele-hopeful.blogspot.com/2007/06/imaginary-birthday-party.html).
I hope that you experience the healing that you a longing for very soon
"To feel the pleasure, we first have to cure the pain
"

ultimatejourney said...

I haven't experienced what you have been through, but it sounds like you have come amazingly far since the loss. You are so strong. I hope at this time next year you are holding a beautiful bundle of joy.

Geohde said...

I understand your emotions about the loss. My circumstances were different, but four months on, I feel the reverberations every day. I often wonder when it gets easier, and I expect I'll be a bit of a wreck too when/if we get to do it again.

I know this isn't helpful advice, but whatever happens with this pregnancy will happen, no matter how many betas and scans you have (or not, given the NHS). It is out of anyone's power to influence.

Try to enjoy it. My biggest regret with my pregnancy is having spent it worried that something bad would happen, I never let myself enjoy that fact that I *was* pregnant. Having said all that, I bet I can't follow my own advice next time!

Hang in there....

Ann said...

I haven't checked your blog in a while, and boy was I shocked to see you're pg! Congrats! I understand how worried and concerned you are, however. All I can do is offer my best wishes.

Becks said...

Just to let you know I am thinking about you and hoping everything is ok. Have a good weekend.

Ms. Planner said...

To begin, I am so sorry that this is the birthday of your daughter and you are celebrating it apart from each other :(

I am certain that I will be terrified during my next pregnancy so I cannot offer any good assvice. But it is great that you have your acupuncturist plus the private IVF clinic plus your GP. Your consultant can bite me. What a horrible thing to say.

You were strong and brave enough to try again despite what you've been through. That kind of pure love and faith is flowing freely through you now so that you can cling to it when you feel scared.

I hope the spotting is banished for good. Be strong.

M said...

Thinking of you in this week that should have been so different....

I can understand your terror and can't give you words of comfort - unfortunately all the assvice in the world doesn't make it any easier, just know we are here holding your hand if you need it.

And I think you need to move to Australia, you can get as many scans and betas as you like and it doesn't cost much at all!!

Geohde said...

Hiya Ms C. I can't find an email address, so I will answer your query from my blog here.

You can put a tracking script on your blog via mybloglog.com and get a sneak peek at where people come from and go to!

J

Natalie said...

Gawd, I'm so sorry you even know this kind of stuff - cuz knowing I believe is worse than not knowing, cuz it brings out the terror. Hang in there, hopefully the accupuncturist is right and things are just as they should be.

In and Out of Luck said...

All the best wishes for this pregnancy!!!

One View said...

I wish I knew the right words to say to comfort you. But it sounds like you've come a long way with your grief. I do understand your fears but I hope you will be able to enjoy this pregnancy soon. I hope your acupuncturist is right as well. All the best to you...!!