CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Welcome to Edinburgh





The Old Town of Edinburgh runs down the Royal Mile. At the top Edinburgh Castle. At the bottom the Queen's official residence, the Palace of Holyrood House.




I grew up in a close off the Royal Mile where I lived with my Gran parents. The close itself was rather grim but the buildings around are so beautiful. Here is a picture of my primary school.



Later, although I had moved away I went to university here. I also had a part time job as a waitress in a Pizza restaurant (and met Mr L here many moons ago)


Edinburgh is built on an extict volcano which makes it very hilly. Just a few minutes from our old flat is Arthurs Seat and Holyrood Park.




As I went to a school slap, bang in the middle of all this history, we had a lot of lessons about the Old Town. I found it a huge bore at the time :-( but the one story that I really liked was about Mary Kings Close. Mary Kings Close is an underground street that runs under the Royal Mile. It was a complete community with shops etc. It had been bricked up during the black plague as the people thought it would save the spread of disease. All the inhabitants were simply bricked in and left to die. Years later my husband, through his work, was invited on a tour of the close. We entered, down a stairwell, through the City Chambers in the middle of the Royal Mile. The place was amazing, still intact with the butcher shop still having its meat hooks and everything. Very spooky.


I love Edinburgh. I don't live centrally anymore but I still love to wander in especially during the festival which starts in a couple of weeks. I hope you enjoyed the look around! I'll leave you with some random Scottish pictures.







20 comments:

dmarie said...

That was fun Carrie! Thanks for the look around :)

Mrs. Collins said...

I loved your pics of Edinburgh. Thanks for sharing. I'd really love to visit, but I have a feeling this will be all I'll get to see. Thanks.

Topcat said...

Ohhhh, Edinburgh is beautiful! My father was born in Glasgow, so I'm half Scot (and half crazy tee hee). I hope to get there in the next few years ... Carrie I'm sending you peace for your pregnancy, all the way from Ox. xo

M said...

I definitely have to get there - and soon! I really regret not making it to Scotland years ago when I was in England, so much history...

Thank you so much for inviting us to visit!!! x

Brenda said...

I love all those old buildings. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs
xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

BEAUTIFUL. Ahhh, i need to travel, but for now setteling for these pictures isn't half bad.

Ann said...

I went to Edinburgh seven years ago after college and loved it. Out of the UK and Ireland, it was my favorite city. So unique! Ever heard of the touring company MacBackpackers? I toured the Scottish Highlands with them. LOVED IT! I love the Scottish people, too. You have a wonderful country.

One View said...

Beautiful pics and I agree Edinburgh is beautiful. I'll just have to put it on my list of places to visit one day.. :) :) Thanks for sharing.. :)

Dr. Grumbles said...

Thanks for the glimpse of Edinburgh!

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

Thanks for the tour! I've heard wonderful things about Edinburgh - I really need to visit there. My hubby wants to go to Scotland because he loves Scotch. I'll sightsee and he'll get plastered. Your pictures are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think I've seen a lot of places that are more beautiful! That was a great trip.
what was the orange beasty thing at the top? Did I miss the explanation of that. I'll have to go and reread.

Nearlydawn said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Glad to know you and I are on the same track! I'll add you to my list so I can keep up with your journey!

N7 said...

ooohhhhh it IS beautiful! The pictures look FAKE!
Happy & Healthy 9 months to you :) My blog had to be put to rest due to family discovery so please check me out also- Hormonal DIsaster is no more!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures - I love Edinburgh and hope to get back some time - maybe if I ever stop cycling.

KarenO said...

Oh you live in a BEAUTIFUL city! I've heard so much about Edinburgh and it's a dream of mine to visit it someday in the future. Thanks so much for sharing! I love the story about Mary Kings Close - it's very cruel but interesting. :) Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Unknown said...

Scotland is gorgeous! Haven't been there in years and years but hope to return!!!

Mama Bear said...

Wow, Edinburgh is so beautiful! It's funny--my friend from London was just here for the weekend and was saying that we should all go to Edinburgh in the fall. I might just have to take her up on the offer!

Baby Blues said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Knock Me Up said...

Oh you've done it now -- I definitely need to come to Scotland one day. Beautiful pix. Lovely country.