CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Short Protocol, Why Would That Be Then??

I got the results back from shiny new clinic. AHM 17.4 (pmol/l), the nurse said this was a good number and, based on this, they would expect a good response.
I only have her word for this as the only guide I have managed to find is their own which reads.....

<1.0 Negligible responses to ovulation drugs. Expected yields of 0-2 eggs. Most are stopped prior to egg pick up.
1.0-5.0 Reduced responses to ovulation drugs. Expected yields of 1-6 eggs (normal average=11 eggs)
>20 High responses to ovulation drugs. Risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.

We have an appt on Monday for the consent forms etc (and payment, no doubt!) I asked if I was to start down regulating on day 20 or 21, which is either Tues or Wed. The person on the phone (nurse?) said no, I'd be starting on the first day of next cycle.

I didn't question this at the time but now I'm not sure why this would be. Is a short protocol not for those who don't respond well? I've never done stims before so I don't know what to expect. The ovarian assesment was to decide the type of cycle. I'm now wondering if they think I'll have a poor response, in which case why would she say my result was good?

As much as I hate feeling out of my depth, it does look very like we will be able to cycle this month and, for that, I'm grateful. I think it will be a relief to do something, to be trying. I'm not overly confident that it'll all come together and I certainly am not taking the process as a given. I know starting a cycle is only the first hurdle.

I do feel quite at peace though. At the moment I feel we are doing the right thing. I am writing this now to remind myself it the next few weeks. I hope I can hang on to this feeling!

13 comments:

Thalia said...

Short protocol used to be used only for poor responders, now the evidence says it is equivalently successful in all women to the long protocol, so honestly, given what a pain in the neck the long protocol is, I can't understand why any clinic is still using the long one!

dmarie said...

I hope you hang on to the feeling too!

About the bracelet...
Just email me your address, and I'll send you one! infertility.bracelet@gmail.com

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

no matter what...i am happy that you're on your way girlie.

Natalie said...

I think you're dead on with "I'm writing this to remind myself" cuz yea, sometimes it's hard to forget that things felt good for a little while. Here's hoping it goes well!

Geohde said...

Hmm, who knows what goes through the mind of the average ivf clinic co-ordinator.

Mine struggle with anything outside of their little algorithms.

J

Geohde said...

Oh and good luck hon,

xx

J

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

Good luck on another try... Isn't it funny how quickly they want their money?!?!? :)

Silver said...

Could it be they're putting you on an antagonist cycle since your AMH was so good? My understanding of these cycles it that they let your own cycle start off (so you produce a few follicles yourself) and they switch off whatever it is that makes most of the follicles fade out and only one come to the fore. Don't know if that's the best way of explaining it, but it's what they suggested to me since I've overstimulated in the past. Your AMH level is excellent, so there should be no danger at all of you being hard to stimulate - just the opposite, I'd have thought. Will txt or email re Wed.

Silver said...

Silver would be me, Jan. Not at all sure why my Blogger profile has kicked in here - I'd forgotten I had one!!

Ms. Planner said...

I am so happy that you are feeling at peace with your direction and decision. Smiling for you and your good vibes.

Joy said...

I don't know much about this stuff, but it sounds great. Wishing you super sticky baby vibes!
Glad to see you feeling upbeat.

JJ said...

Glad you can cycle this month! Best of luck to you=)

Kristen said...

I'm so glad you are feeling peaceful. I hate sitting still so I know the feeling of relief by cycling.

Hang on! I'll be thinking of you! XOXO